Q: Does it cost anything to come to Broad River Greenway?

It doesn’t cost Cleveland County Residents, they just have to have a resident decal on their vehicle.
If you don’t live in Cleveland County the cost is $5.00 per car per day OR a yearly pass may be obtained for $35.00
Resident decals and yearly passes are available at the Broad River Greenway Ranger Station 704-434-0040

Q: How can I reserve the ONE of the covered picnic shelters? We are not currently taking reservations 

It is free to reserve and can be reserved in 3 hour blocks by calling 704-561-1274 between 9:00 a.m and 5:00 p.m. MONDAY – FRIDAY.  We do not take reservations on holidays and do not take same day reservations.

When the shelter is not reserved it is available on a first come – first serve basis. 

 In addition to the TWO picnic shelter, we have 9 permanently mounted grills and 24 picnic tables along the trails which are available on a first come – first serve basis. Please specify which shelter you would like to reserve – small original shelter by the river or the large new shelter off the over flow parking lot.

During times of high demand, you may be asked to share facility resources.

Q:  How big is the covered picnic shelter?

The small covered shelter holds two picnic tables and has a permanently mounted grill.  The rock wall surrounding the shelter provides additional seating and the area around the shelter is available for additional chairs and blankets so folks can spread out.

The new large covered shelter is 25′ x 40′ and has two permanently mounted grills and three picnic tables.  There is room for additional folding tables and chairs.

Q. If I have my party at the covered shelter do my guests still need to have a resident decal or pay the day use fee?

Yes, since we don’t charge for the shelter every one must have a decal or pay the day use fee.

Q: Can I bring my personal grills?

You may use your personal grill in our over flow parking area (in the gravel only).  No personal grills are allowed on the trails. 

Q:  Is there camping at the Greenway?

A pack-in campsite is available for a small fee.  Please fill out the application and deliver to the Park Ranger along with reservation fee and a complete list of campers.

Q:  What birds can I see at the Greenway?

You can find out what birds call the Greenway home and when is the best chance to see them at the North Carolina Birding Trail website.  The Greenway is part of the Mountain Birding Trail and a complete list of birds is available at Greenway Birding


Trail maps are available upon request from the Ranger Station jor by PDF here.


Pack-in camping is available to organized groups by application.